WARNING:This blog contains copious amounts of adultGAY material. If that's offensive to you, please leave now. All pix have been gleaned from the internets so, if you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies. I REPEAT:If you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.
I did a search for the "suburban house" and found it in The Architectural Record, Vo. X No. 4, April 1901, in an article about French buildings called "Nouveates de Paris". The article's comment about this house: “A distressing example is the suburban residence herewith illustrated, of which the effect must be admitted to be distressing, in spite of, or because of the strict adherence to precedent in detail. It is a box, and the effort to relieve its boxiness by the application of the tourelles, which belonged to a much bigger building, succeeds only in emphasizing that character, and adding to it an absurd pomposity and pretentiousness.”
I agree, Rick...that's more than a "suburban" house.
ReplyDeleteI did a search for the "suburban house" and found it in The Architectural Record, Vo. X No. 4, April 1901, in an article about French buildings called "Nouveates de Paris". The article's comment about this house: “A distressing example is the suburban residence herewith illustrated, of which the effect must be admitted to be distressing, in spite of, or because of the strict adherence to precedent in detail. It is a box, and the effort to relieve its boxiness by the application of the tourelles, which belonged to a much bigger building, succeeds only in emphasizing that character, and adding to it an absurd pomposity and pretentiousness.”
ReplyDelete