WARNING: This blog contains copious amounts of adult GAY material. If that's offensive to you, please leave now. All pix have been gleaned from the internets so, if you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.

I REPEAT: If you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

2024.0724.0003...

Lake Natron, Tanzania


During breeding season, more than 2 million lesser flamingos (Phoenicopterus minor) use the shallow lake as their primary breeding ground in Africa. The flamingos' nests are built on small islands that form in the lake during the dry season.



Lake Natron is one of two alkaline lakes in that area of East Africa; the other is Lake Bahi. Both are terminal lakes that do not drain out to any river or sea; they are fed by hot springs and small rivers. As shallow lakes in a hot climate, their water temperatures can reach as high as 106 degrees Fahrenheit (41 degrees Celsius).


The alkaline water in Lake Natron has a pH as high as 10.5 and is so caustic it can burn the skin and eyes of animals that aren't adapted to it. The water's alkalinity comes from the sodium carbonate and other minerals that flow into the lake from the surrounding hills. And deposits of sodium carbonate — which was once used in Egyptian mummification — also acts as a fantastic type of pre­ser­vative for those animals unlucky enough to die in the waters of Lake Natron.


Despite some media reports, the animal didn't simply turn to stone and die after coming into contact with the lake's water. In fact, Lake Natron's alkaline waters support a thriving ecosystem of salt marshes, freshwater wetlands, flamingos and other wetland birds, tilapia and the algae on which large flocks of flamingos feed. Now, photographer Nick Brandt has captured haunting images of the lake and its dead in a book titled "Across the Ravaged Land" (Abrams Books, 2013).


Brandt discovered the remains of flamingos and other animals with chalky sodium carbonate deposits outlining their bodies in sharp relief. "I unexpectedly found the creatures — all manner of birds and bats — washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron," Brandt wrote in his book. "No one knows for certain exactly how they die, but … the water has an extremely high soda and salt content, so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds."


"I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them in 'living' positions, bringing them back to 'life,' as it were," Brandt wrote, referring to the way he repositioned the animals. "Reanimated, alive again in death." [Photos: Lake Natron Gives Up Its Dead]

6 comments:

Infidel753 said...

If someone from the Middle Ages had seen that red lake and those corroded-looking dead animals, he'd probably have assumed he was in Hell.

uptonking said...

Eerie. And Fascinating. Wow. Nature is truly multi-talented. Eek.

Mistress Maddie said...

That is very interesting and haunting. I wonder just what kind of life can withstand that lake???

Milleson said...

My goodness! Little did I expect when I woke up this morning and poured that first cup of coffee, settled in for checking the blogs, that I would be educated and enlightened with this post. If I hadn't known better I would have thought I was watching an episode of Nature On PBS, and Sir Richard Attenborough was narrating the words I was reading. An interesting area of the world unknown to me and a photographer's unique viewpoint.

As everything is hyper-political these days, I will add that I doubt we would see anything posted like this on a MAGA blog. Education isn't high on their priority list.

whkattk said...

That is really wild. Thanks for this post, it's a really good one!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastische Fotos vom Natronsee :)
Tansania (einst Deutsch-Ostafrika) ist and ein Land mit atemberaubender Landschaft, vom Kilimandscharo bis zu seinen Seen und seiner Flora und Fauna.
…alkalische Seen sind zu respektieren.
(vvs)