WARNING: This blog contains copious amounts of adult GAY material. If that's offensive to you, please leave now. All pix have been gleaned from the internets so, if you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.

I REPEAT: If you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

2022.0213.0003...

Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit"

("Lady Day" and her dog Mister)
 
The sociologist, Arthur Franklin Raper, was commissioned in 1930 to produce a report on lynching. He discovered that "3,724 people were lynched in the United States from 1889 through to 1930. Over four-fifths of these were Negroes, less than one-sixth of whom were accused of rape. Practically all of the lynchers were native whites. The fact that a number of the victims were tortured, mutilated, dragged, or burned suggests the presence of sadistic tendencies among the lynchers. Of the tens of thousands of lynchers and onlookers, only 49 were indicted and only 4 have been sentenced.”


In 1937 Abel Meeropol, a Jewish schoolteacher from the Bronx, created something indelible. Initially a poem he called “Bitter Fruit,” it de­picted Black men hanging from trees. Meeropol, a member of the American Communist Party, using the pseudonym Lewis Allan, published the poem in the New York Teacher and later, the Marxist journal, New Masses.


After seeing Billie Holiday perform at the club Café Society in New York City, Meeropol showed her the poem. Holiday liked it and after working on it with Sonny White, turned the poem into the song, "Strange Fruit". The record made it to No. 16 on the charts in July 1939. However, the song was denounced by Time Magazine as "a prime piece of musical propaganda" for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).





Here are two good links that helped me piece this together...

Today in History: The Legacy of “Strange Fruit”

How ‘Strange Fruit’ Killed Billie Holiday

11 comments:

JiEL said...

OMG! Seems that didn't change alot since those dark days of USA racist times...

When you hear: "Hang Mike Pence." on Jan 6 2021, the popular justice system isn't out of the DNA of American people.

BatRedneck said...

Her voice stole a piece of my heart the first time I heard a record of her as a teenager.
This poem is a beauty. In a very, very sad way.
And it also makes me ashamed and angry to belong to the species who caused it to be written.

BatRedneck said...

P.S.: did anyone here watch the biopic movie about Lady Day that was released last year? I have a copy which I hesitate to watch, so any critic would be welcome.

SickoRicko said...

Laurent - I encountered a trailer for the movie you mentioned and almost added it to this post. When I asked my TV (what will technology think of next?) to watch that movie, it required signing up for Hulu, which I didn't want to do. I'm a cheap bastard.

nbearj said...

It could also be noted that Meerpol who wrote the poem became the father of the Rosenberg boys

SickoRicko said...

nbearj - Ah yes, I read that during my research. That was a very nice thing for them to do.

Unknown said...

I cry any time I hear that piece by Lady Day.😢

SickoRicko said...

Unknown@6:51pm - It's very moving.

uptonking said...

What a great post, Rick. Fascinating. Love the story. And Time Magazine! What a shocker. I wonder if they have ever apologized. Well done, my friend. I just loved this.

whkattk said...

It got her kicked out of halls. It got her arrested and jailed.
And the blocking of real history continues.....

SickoRicko said...

upton - Thank you.

Pat - I read about that. And yes, it continues.