WARNING: This blog contains copious amounts of adult GAY material. If that's offensive to you, please leave now. All pix have been gleaned from the internets so, if you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.

I REPEAT: If you see a picture of yourself that you don't wish to have posted here, please leave a comment on the post and I will remove it with my apologies.

Tuesday, February 07, 2023

2023.0207.0010...

Sad, yes, but interesting. Only slightly long...


I never understood why veterinarians are at such a high risk of suicide. Until I became one.

5 comments:

elJiffy said...


Last July I had to euthanise my sweet girl Sofie, my constant companion for 14 years. Life hasn't been the same without her. Mercifully she wasn't in any pain, she'd suffered a kind of stroke paralyzing her hind legs, but it was hard, so hard, to let her go. I imagine it must take its toll on the vets who have to perform this service, doctors don't have to administer a lethal dose to terminally ill human patients or even be present when they die, but veterinarians are there to do the dirty work and to witness the effect it has on the survivors and, man, that can't be easy.
I don't know if this has anything to do with the article you linked (I can't read it, the loss is still too raw) but that's my two cents' worth experience.

SickoRicko said...

elJiffy - Thanks for sharing your story. It's always very sad to have to let them go.

Uncle Vic said...

I remember seeing an interview with a vet and he was asked what the hardest part was.. he cried when he said "the ones we can't save"...

My best friend and his husband just last week had to say goodbye to their 12-year-old wire fox terrier.. cancer.. two BRUTAL surgeries and finally a third aggressive tumor. They called and said "today is the day.. come into town and say goodbye.."
The dog, Cadman, met me at the door, tail wagging and gave me kisses.. they said that was the first time in a week he had wagged his tail.. so..
We cried and reminisced and cried and I went home so they could finish-up privately.. such a fine dog.. Fare well, buddy boy...I'll see you when I get there...

SickoRicko said...

Uncle Vic - I'm so glad that Cadman wagged his tail for you and his dads.

uptonking said...

I get it... it's hard. It's why I may be done with having pets... I am burnt out with end of life stuff. Those moments haunt and stay with you. I feel for veterinarians.